Announcement Comes Just Prior to the Launch at First Night Virginia
The City of Charlottesville announced today a new Celebrate!250 partnership with the Heritage Theater to feature the play “1776” during the summer of 2012. With construction continuing on the Culbreth Theater, this will be the only Heritage production to be held next summer and is being done to honor the 250th anniversary of the founding of Charlottesville. With this partnership, fifty community partners have now been identified to contribute to the celebration through seminars, festivals, and cultural and special events. These include: First Night Virginia, the University of Virginia, Monticello, the Chamber of Commerce, the Festival of the Photo, the Virginia Festival of the Book, the Virginia Film Festival, and the Piedmont Council for the Arts, to name a few.
For over a year, the 250th Steering Committee, city staff, and volunteers have been planning for a series of events to entertain, inspire, and educate residents and visitors on the diverse stories that have made the city so unique and valuable. To follow is a summary of just some of the events that are set to take place specifically for Celebrate 250:
- The Virginia Festival of History will take place in late May and will involve re-enactments, seminars, and cultural events to highlight Charlottesville’s history.
- A series of historically relevant seminars will be held in partnership with the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities early in 2012.
- In partnership with Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society, downtown tours of historic areas will be expanded from April to October.
- Curriculum and special projects and events are being planned with all grades of Charlottesville City Schools.
- A year-long partnership with Charlottesville Tomorrow and Cvillepedia will chronicle family stories and use the web in an interactive way to tell the diverse stories of our citizens.
- Town hall meetings held this year with activities in all neighborhoods across the city will engage the residents and facilitate better relationships between adjacent neighborhoods.
A reception to honor our partners will be held on Monday, December 12th at 4pm at City Space. The media is welcomed to attend.